This is a fun first day of school activity. CATEGORIES game lets your students to revise vocabulary and warm up before the school year.
Language focus: any familiar lexical sets (in the example: animals, food, clothes, sports, jobs)
Materials: A4 paper (one for each group)
1. Divide the class into groups of 3-4.
2. Write on the board the names of the lexical sets and ask each group to copy them.
3. Say a letter of the alphabet and each group has five minutes to think of and write down one word in each category beginning with the given letter.
4. After five minutes groups take turns to say their words in each category and score points:
- 15 points – if only one group has the word in the category,
- 10 points – if at least two groups have the words and they are different,
- 5 points – if two or more groups have the same word.
5. After the round each group keeps a score in the last column.
6. Continue the activity with some other letters.
7. The winning group is the one with the most points at the end of the game.
Avoid letters such as: Y, Z, Q, X etc. – it can be difficult for students to think of a word beginning with these letters.
To print the instruction click here.