Teaching some new vocabulary to children you have to be sure that they will be able to use them properly. At first new items need to be introduced. Then it is necessary to give ESL children lots of possibilities to practise vocabulary. And finally, do not forget about consolidation of the knowledge by frequent revision. Here are presented some activities on different kind of topics to help your students to learn vocabulary in a child-friendly way.
MAKE A DONATION
Your donation will directly support us to continue making teaching resources for you.
Thank you, we are greatful for your support.
This autumn game is a perfect way to practice autumn vocabulary with young ESL learners.
- autumn vocabulary (in the example: acorn, apple, mushroom, pumpkin, leaves)
Materials: flashcards, a set of small pictures (about eight of each kind), a dice, a pawn
Find out how to play Autumn game
Find out how to play Hide and seek with pets.
- any animals (in the example: dog, tortoise, mouse, lamb, guinea pig, budgie, hamster, cat, rabbit, horse)
- expression: Where's the ...?; Here it is.
- a notebook and crayons,
- sticky notes and a pen,
- optionally: pictures of the animals and word cards.
Spin the bottle and let your students practise any food vocabulary playing Food groups word game.
- food groups: fish nad meat, fruit and vegetables, dairy products, grain products,
- any food items (in the example: apples, pasta, strawberries, peppers, tuna, meatballs, tomatoes, bananas, rolls, carrots, broccoli, lettuce, rice, cherries, beef, butter, spinach, buckwheat groats, cream, baguette, cheese, chicken, milk, steak, cereal, sardines, bacon, salmon, bread, cottage cheese, ham, yoghurt, sausages)
- word cards: food items and food groups (click to download the food word cards)
- a bottle of water
Find out how to play Food groups game.
This activity can help practising house vocabulary - pronunciation as well as spelling. If it is necessary introduce or revise the vocabulary before the game.
- rooms and furniture vocabulary (kitchen, bathroom, basement, attic, garage, living room, study, bedroom, armchair, cooker, desk, washbasin, wardrobe, table, cupboard, fridge, sofa, bookcase)
- sentence formation
Materials: a set of cards for each group (click to download the house cards)
Find out how to play House pairs game.
- names of the animals and their body parts, colours, animls natural habitats (for example: jungle, grasslands, river, forest, etc.)
- It is ...; It has got ...Materials: a sheet of paper (for each student), a pencil, crayons
Read the instruction how to do Trip to the zoo activity in class.