The aim of this lesson is to teach food items which are split according to the groups of food they belong to. Products are divided into four food groups: fish & meat, fruit & vegetables, dairy products and grain products. It is also an oportunity to talk about students' likes and dislikes or what is healthy for us.
Time: 90 minutes
- food groups: fish and meat, fruit and vegetables, dairy products, grain products,
- any food items (in the example: apples, pasta, strawberries, peppers, tuna, meatballs, tomatoes, bananas, rolls, carrots, broccoli, lettuce, rice, cherries, beef, butter, spinach, buckwheat groats, cream, baguette, cheese, chicken, milk, steak, cereal, sardines, bacon, salmon, bread, cottage cheese, ham, yoghurt, sausages)
- word cards: food items and food groups (to download the word cards click here)
- four sheets of paper (red, blue, yellow, green)
- paper for notes and pens
- a set of word cards and a bottle of water (one for each group of three or four students)
1. Revise food vocabulary – divide students into groups of three and ask them to write down as many food items as they remember for three minutes. Then ask them to read their ideas in turns.
2. Attach food groups word cards to the board and ask students to match food items word cards to the right group.
3. Then students can play Food Groups game in groups of three or four.
Click on the image below to find the instruction to the game.
4. For more practise students can:
- make notes in their notebooks,- prepare a poster including their favourite products from each food group,
- do ready-to-use exercises for food groups
Enjoy teaching about nutrition and the foreign language at the same time. If you like the post and find it useful, please leave a comment and share this CLIL lesson plan for food groups.
There are no reviews yet.